Wed, Apr 20|
CCP Unit 2A
This year has highlighted some of the challenges we face when we are not at ease in our bodies. This group aims to normalize tough conversations about how to take up space in a world that wants us to stay small.
Time & Location
Apr 20, 2022, 6:00 p.m. – Apr 21, 2022, 8:00 p.m.
CCP Unit 2A, 97 James St N, Hamilton, ON L8R 2K6, Canada
About the event
About the Event
This group is designed for adults (25+) who are looking to create a more positive relationship with their bodies.
Body Image is something we all have defined as "how you see yourself when you look in the mirror or when you picture yourself in your mind."
- What you believe about your own appearance (including your memories, assumptions, and generalizations).
- How you feel about your body, including your height, shape, and weight.
- How you sense and control your body as you move. How you physically experience or feel in your body.
- Many of us internalize messages starting at a young age that can lead to either positive or negative body image. Having a healthy body image is an important part of mental wellbeing and eating disorders prevention.
As a therapist, I commonly see individuals in my office who despite what brought them in, are battling a discomfort with their bodies.
This may look like:
-Feeling like you think about, or feel your body more than you would like to.
-A constant feeling of needing to change your body that never gets better.
-An overwhelming sense that your body is not good enough.
-A recent change in attitude towards your body and a desire to explore this.
-Weight stigma, weight based judgement and how that impacts your daily life.
The recent return to normacly has only highlighted some of the challenges we face when we are not at ease in our bodies. This group aims to normalize tough conversations about how to take up space in a world that wants us to stay small.
What do we do in this group? This group will help us to look more critically at the rules we have set for ourselves and our bodies. By identifying where we are in terms of our relationship with our bodies: through Psycho-education and skill building.
- Why? Critical analysis of what is enabling the negative feelings, and why you are here.
- What? What are the unique challenges we have faced recently that have impacted how we feel.
- What we need to do to calm the negative voices and expectations.
- Who are you and who do you want to be? Who we are trying to please? Who we are influenced by?
- Where the changes need to start.
- Why it is important now and why we wish we started sooner.
Come and join us for an event that will explore body image, health at every size and coping with negative self esteem. This event will thrive off of the support from one another along with working through therapeutic exercises together in a structured format.
Facilitated by Registered Psychotherapist Carly Crawford and Rebekah Bender
Investment is $90.00+ HST per person
Please review our COVID Policy and Directions to the Office:
-We ask that you wear a mask when you are unable to maintain distance with other's in the space. If you don't have a proper mask we have medical grade ones you can wear.
-We will be following the physical distancing protocol in the office. We can do this by sitting in certain places in the office and by not arriving early for your appointments (so as to not use the waiting area)
-We are limiting the amount of people in the office space at one time.
-We will be leaving windows open to allow for proper air flow so please bring a sweater.
-We ask that everyone wash their hands upon arrival and before they leave (We will provide hand sanitizer at the entrance.).
We ask that you do NOT attend in-person if any of the following applies to you:
-You're experiencing any symptoms of illness (cough, fever, aches, fatigue, stomach upset ,
sore throat, pink eye, shortness of breath).
-You have been exposed to anyone who has COVID-19, or has potentially been in contact with anyone else who may have been in contact with a COVID -19 positive person.
-You have been in contact with someone awaiting results of a COVID-19 test.
-You have been in contact with someone who is ill.
-Anyone in your home has been a contact of someone who has tested positive (this includes cases where someone has been isolated from school but has tested negative)
Directions to the Office:
Office instructions for In-person sessions:
1. Office location is on 97 James Street North Unit 2A and 2B (Hamilton)
2. There is ample parking available on the street, along with several paid lots around the space. One is off of VINE st and one is off of YORK.
3. Walk to the front of the building to use the front door. We are located right above Cottage 13 tattoos.
4. Use the intercom directory (it is very hard to read) if you can see Crawford select that or press 002. This will buzz up to us and we will let you in. If the buzzer is not working, please call 905 527 8008 and we will come and get you.
5. Go up the stairwell to level 2 and to the workshop is in 2A.
6. Come through the doors- wash hands and review COVID policy.