Wed, May 10|
Move for you: Finding joy in Movement
A 5 week, weekly mix of psycho-education, group reflection, and movement, this group aims to provide you with skills to rediscover how to approach movement from a non-diet culture lens, led by Occupational Therapist Rebekah Bender, and Certified Intuitive Eating Counsellor Michelle Cordeiro.
Time & Location
May 10, 5:30 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.
CCP , 97 James St N, Unit 2A Hamilton, ON L8R 2K6, Canada
About the event
The first sessions will explore how to create non-weight loss focused goals for sustainable movement, developing health promoting behaviours (both physical and mental), navigating societal expectations and influences around exercise, separating diet culture from movement, and strategies to focus on joy and mindfulness while also engaging in exercise spaces. Each group will include a pilates inspired, on the mat movement class facilitated by Michelle. No previous experience is needed as modifications and alternatives will be given, demonstrated and encouraged throughout the class. There will also be opportunities to reflect and apply discussed skills after each session to finish the group.
Move For You is a space to explore how it feels to move while being surrounded by like minded people who want to challenge diet culture ideals and find joy in movement. We will also focus on how to apply these principles to movement environments that you might choose to explore outside of this group container.
This group may be appropriate for you if:
- You enjoy moving or would like to explore ways of moving that bring you joy
- You would like to participate in movement in a supportive environment
- You would like to learn more about ways to appreciate your body amidst moving
- You would like to learn strategies to be less hard on yourself while engaging in movement
- You would like to connect with like- minded individuals who are seeking support around finding joy in movement
This group will cover topics such as:
- Understanding thoughts and emotions related to exercise and moving
- Identifying personal goals and hopes around movement
- Challenging diet culture messaging often associated with movement
- Engaging in opportunities for movement in a supportive environment
- Engaging in self-reflection around how movement feels and what brings joy
- Practical skills to engage in movement in different environments in a way that aligns with personal goals and values
- We hope to have fun in these sessions! While we learn and explore, we hope that the group also provides experiences of joy while moving
This group will be a closed group limited to 6 people. Your registration is for all 5 sessions and the group members will stay the same for all 5 weeks. This helps with consistency, allows us to build on previously discussed knowledge, and is meant to create a safe and supportive community within this group setting.
$350.00 + HST for all 5 weeks
$70.00 +HST per session
This Group is led by: Rebekah Bender, Occupational Therapist, Psychotherapist and Michelle Cordeiro, Anti-Diet Nutritionist